Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Tale of Two Engines



The RV-12 and the Sonex/Waiex are two Light Sport Aircraft. (Click here for an explanation of Light Sport Aircraft.) I have written about the Sonex in other posts, but I would like to discuss the engines options of these two aircraft.

The RV-12 uses the popular Rotax 912 ULS, while the Sonex/Waiex uses the AeroVee (the Jabiru 2200 or 3300 are the other options). I like both airplanes and both manufacturers. Both have been in business a long time and are respected in the industry. What I want to really compare are the prices for the Rotax and the AeroVee.

Van's lists the powerplant kit (includes the Sensenich propeller) for $26,165, while you can see that the entire price, including the AeroVee engine for the Sonex is $26,000. Yes, the Rotax 912 ULS is 100 hp, while the AeroVee is barely 80 hp, but the Rotax is 3 times the money ($6,495 versus ~$20,000 for the Rotax 912 ULS) .

Now, I don't have any hard reliability data on either engine, but I am forced to favor the AeroVee for mostly financial reasons. Yeah, I'd like to fly behind the Rotax in a RV-12, but financial considerations hold me back. What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment