Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

One Gram

Part of the reason that I became an engineer was to solve or at least contribute to the solution of some of mankind’s problems - like the alleged energy crisis. However, after I graduated from engineering school and when I gained a little more wisdom and years, I learned that there weren’t really all that many bonafide technical problems facing mankind. And most certainly there is NOT an energy crisis.

Wrap your mind around this fact. Fat Man, the plutonium bomb that the US dropped on Nagasaki released the binding energy of one (Yes, Virginia ONE) gram of plutonium, “one third of the weight of a penny! A number of kilograms of plutonium were in the bomb, but the amount that actually released its binding energy and created the fireball was one gram. E (twenty kilotons) equals m (one gram) times the square of the speed of light.” (McPhee, John, The Curve of Binding Energy, pg 163.) I am not advocating nuclear war or weapons, but I use this fact to simply demonstrate the awesome amount of energy that can be harnessed from the atom.

I consider the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki a war crime perpetrated by Truman et al, but that is not my point. My point is that nuclear energy (binding energy found in the nucleus of the atom) can provide mankind with abundant energy for peaceful uses. All of mankind, all abundantly supplied with energy. I have already addressed the non-problem of nuclear waste in an earlier blog.

So, providing energy to mankind is not a technical problem yet to be solved. It is a moral crisis confronting the opinion and policy makers (did I repeat myself?) in the industrialized countries. Will they continue to deny the world abundant, cheap, clean, peaceful nuclear power in pursuit of their green elitist utopian fantasies? Or will they finally have a gram of compassion for the world’s masses? That is a problem that no engineer has been trained to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment