Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Killing General Aviation

The June 2009 issue of Kitplanes has a very relevant editorial by Marc Cook, entitled "Airport Security: Out of hand and getting worse". He concludes the article: "If you had a master plan to kill general aviation in this country, I can't think of a better one than to combine obscene and ineffective security rules with a brutally bad economy". I couldn't agree more!

As a kid, I lived on a bluff overlooking the Elko, Nevada Municipal Airport. I used to ride my bike to the airport and just look around. One afternoon two Mustangs flew over the city and landed. I easily persuaded my dad to quickly take me to the airport. He grabbed his camera and us kids piled in the car. In those halcyon days anyone could wander out on the ramp and see the planes. Here are pictures of the two Mustangs as proof. One of them was the "Red Baron" of Reno Air Race fame.

In addition to the profane costs of flying that have devastated general aviation for decades due to the monopoly of FAA certification, we now have to deal with the Department of Homeland Security and the Transportation Security Administration. I bet if those names were translated into Russian or German their letters would be NKVD or SS. But hey, that's the price we pay for living in a free country!


No comments:

Post a Comment