Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2009

Light Sport Aircraft for $25,000



I was day-dreaming the other day about flying (what else) and convinced myself that I would purchase a new light sport aircraft if it cost $25,ooo or less. I thought about that for awhile and then I remembered that the Ercoupe models 415 C and 415 CD fit the rules for LSA and are standard category aircraft. A quick search on Barnstormers.com produced a number of Ercoupes for sale in the $20,000 to $25,000 range - just what I was looking for. The original Ercoupes didn't have rudder pedals, since control of the rudders was "mixed" with the ailerons and elevator. The tricycle gear was also a plus , since I don't have a tail wheel endorsement.

However, I have heard that they are underpowered, but a number of them have been upgraded to 85 horsepower. I would certainly want that at my home field elevation of 4,200 feet. The aircraft is also supposed to be easy to land, especially in a stiff crosswind, due to the simplified controls. The wings come in two flavors, fabric covered metal and metal covered. I understand that the fabric wings are lighter, giving an greater useful load. (LSA max gross is 1320 pounds.)

Bottom line - I got my wish. There is a LSA ready to fly for $25,000. They just happen to have all been built in the 40's and 50's.

I still haven't given up my daydream. I wonder what Burt Rutan and Scaled composites could come up with for a LSA? What if I had a prize named after myself called the Rex prize for the first LSA with a MSRP of $25,000? I would love to see Burt's approach to the design. The choice of engines would really be limited, since the darling of most current LSAs is the Rotax 912/914, which retails for over $20,000! Maybe Burt would pick a VW conversion?

For more info on LSAs, click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment