Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

My day off

Well today was my day off. I had a whole list of things I wanted to get accomplished. But yesterday I was checking my e-mail and I got one from the EAA. The e-mail happened to mention that a Mr. Bob Hoover not the Bob Hoover that flies the Rockwell Commander or P-51 Mustang, but the VW engine guru.

Anyway, Bob Hoover the VW engine guru passed away. The story had a link to Bob's blog. I started reading it last night and I didn't get to bed until very late. Then, I must have spent 4 or 5 hours reading it again today. Needless to say I didn't get my long list of chores done.

I just couldn't break away from this blog. His writing style was so clear and expressive and about converting VW engines for aircraft that I just couldn't help myself. How sad that I didn't discover this blog until after its author had passed away.

Back to Bob. I guess Bob has been converting VW engines for aircraft for probably 40 years and has come up with a list of impressive mods to make the engine safe and reliable for aircraft. I just wish I would've discovered him sooner. Luckily, he collaborated with Steve Bennett from Great Plains Aircraft so that his knowledge was not lost.

Bob blogged up a storm and shared his wisdom freely. Too bad he's gone now. I know he really will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment