Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bully Pulpit

Both readers of this blog know that this is my bully pulpit - as it should be. After all, it is my blog. That being said, I hope that some of the things that I write about strike a chord with someone, provoke a thoughtful response, or even move someone to action.

That happens to me on a regular basis when I read articles and blogs. For example, just this week I was reading America's Ruling Class -- And the Perils of Revolution by Angelo M. Codevilla. He makes a lot of well taken points about how the US is run by a class of self aggrandized wonks whose interests are so hostile to the rest of us that they run the risk of causing open revolution.

It is well worth reading, but I want to point out one fact he mentioned. There were 117,000 school districts in America (and hence school boards) in 1940 for 132 million Americans. Today there are a mere 15,000 school districts and school boards for 310 million Americans. That works out to 1 school district for every 1,128 Americans in 1940 and 1 school district to every 20,667 Americans in 2010, or about 18 times less representation today than in 1940. (By the way, these facts were so astounding that I had to check them out. I found this graph on the web here in a study by Christopher Berry of Harvard University.)


No wonder school districts are so unresponsive to parents and taxpayers. I'm sure this was the intended consequence of the architects of this massive consolidation.

As Mr. Codevilla says, "America has been imposed on enough". I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment