Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Alternatives to Alternative Aircraft Engines

My buddy and I are building a RV-7A that I hope one day will look like this:


The typical engine for this amateur built aircraft is the Lycoming O-320, a certificated aircraft engine that dates back many decades.
It is a good, reliable, proven aircraft engine that powers many fine RVs.  Did I mention that it costs $30,000 new?

I have spent a good portion of my life trying to find an alternative to this engine in order to lessen the sticker shock.

This is what I have found after looking hard for many, many years:

Get a buddy to split the cost with you and all of the sudden the price is $15,000 - half! Find another buddy and whamo, the cost is $10,000. Three buddies and the cost is $7,500.

Are you starting to get the point?  The cost goes down dramatically but the reliability, durability, and suitability don't change at all.

This should have been obvious to me many, many years ago, but I guess I was blinded by my fascination with engines of all types and thought automotive engines could be a cheap source of airplane power. Turns out they aren't once to do all that is physically necessary to make an automotive engine work in an aircraft.

Learn from my experience and don't spend time trying to re-engineer an O-320. Find a flying buddy instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment