Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fools' Gold and Fools' Copper

I got these really great iron pyrite crystals (fools' gold) from my son-in-law, D.  They are from the Rio Tinto Kennecott mine in Bingham Canyon, Utah.  I have seen other samples from the same mine, but these were really pretty.  The smallest one looks almost perfect.

Of course, iron pyrite is worthless as a source of industrial materials.  The iron is too hard to separate from the sulfur to be economically viable.  Rio Tinto already produces about 1 million tons of sulfuric acid as a by product of the copper smelting process, according to their literature.
The post-1982 penny is almost worthless, also.  That is what I am calling fools' copper; a zinc slug covered in copper.  Whereas before 1982, the penny used to be mostly copper.  I have blogged about the penny here.

No comments:

Post a Comment