Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

California Contradictions

I spent last week in Encinitas, California on vacation with my family.  I enjoyed the company, the weather, the beaches and the break.  

I like to take the opportunity to observe things, mostly things that seem wildly contradictory to me.  Here are two that I noticed in SoCal.

Amongst the million dollar beach houses in Encinitas are some real dumps, so not every one is awash in money.  (Does that mean economics applies even in SoCal?)


Million dollar beach house
Boarded up dump (roach motel) just a little ways away


The other thing that made me laugh more than anything was the solar panels in the parking lot of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS), which is owned by SoCal Edison.  You might think I am making this up, but here are the photos:

SoCal Edison - San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station parking lot with solar powered lights
These photos were taken around noon with coastal fog and there was fog every day I was there.  This reduces the collecting ability of the panels.

I guess the solar panels charge some batteries that power the parking lot lights.  I have a hard time imagining collecting a few watthours per panel when you have megawatthours of nuclear power on site.   Maybe it was a sop to the greens?
 




Interestingly enough, it seems that seagulls live on top of the containment buildings at San Onofre.  At least the amount of guano would indicate as much.  (And, I have not heard any reports of godzilla seagulls in SoCal.)
Seagulls (and guano) on top of the reactor containment building at San Onofre
Seeing SONGS again made me think of Kirk Sorensen's proposal for thorium reactors anchored to the sea bed - earthquake proof, tsunami proof, vandal proof, and out of sight.  I think the later would be great for SoCal.  I think it would get a lot less opposition being out of sight and it could provide needed power and desalinated water to a very dry area.

No comments:

Post a Comment