Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Challenger Experimental Aircraft

Jerry, a friendly, fellow aviator from Logan made the trip over to BMC to give me a ride in his Challenger LSA. He built it from a kit over the course of some months. He estimated that it took him about 300 hours to complete the kit.


The plane is powered by a Rotax 503 DCDI (dual carbs and dual ignition and 50 hp) and geared down to turn a 60 inch prop with a synchronous belt drive. (Which, by the way I have blogged about before, but this application seems to be one of the successful ones.)




The tandem seating arrangement was a little tight for me, but I am tall. I tried the front seat and it was adequate, but a little difficult to get into. I guess that's just the price of trying to fly inexpensive aircraft. If I were loaded, I would buy a Cessna 172 XP. They have ample cabin room for me.




Jerry added cabin heat by putting this intake on the cooling shroud (the Rotax 503 is fan cooled) and ducting the hot air to the front of the cabin. Canadian Challenger owners also do this to keep flying through the winter.

Here are some videos of the flight.














Bottom line; I liked the Challenger. It did pretty well for only having a Rotax 503 at gross weight and 4,200" field elevation. I like the ease of construction (aluminum tube and rivets and Stits fabric) and the tricycle configuration. I'd like to find a used one that I could buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment