Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hugh Nibley

One of my favorites stories from Hugh's biography is about his Army time in Clearwater scrubbing latrines.

Hugh later recalled that he had spent Thanksgiving eve at Clearwater "scrubbing these latrines out with a big scrubbing brush." An officer came up and ordered him to "come with me, and bring the brush," then took him to the officers' mess hall and ordered him to clean a hugh pile of celery. "With this brush?" demanded Hugh, appalled. "I just used it for cleaning toilets." The officer didn't want to hear any excuses. Hugh metaphorically shrugged: "So there I was cleaning the celery for the officers the next day for their Thanksgiving dinner with a toilet brush. That's so typically Army. I mean, it is marvelous.

No comments:

Post a Comment