Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Spelunking Behind the Dryer

The clothes dryer hadn't been doing its job well for quite a while, but I was hesitant to go spelunking behind it to clean out the vent. I knew it would be a nasty, unpleasant job to clean out the flex hose and the 20 plus feet of ducting between the dryer and the great outdoors.



So, I picked up some supplies at Home Depot to get started with the job. I found these nifty clamps that can be tightened by hand, because I knew that it would be a challenge to get the vent hose back in place once I got it cleaned out. I didn't want to disconnect the gas line to pull the dryer completely away from the wall, so I knew it would also be in cramped quarters.


I got behind the dryer and disconnected the old vent flex hose. It was completely packed with lint! This led me to Wal-Mart to get a new 5 foot piece of vent flex hose, since the nearest Home Depot is 25 miles away. While there, I also picked up a 10 foot dryer vent brush that Home Depot didn't carry. I know because I asked when I was buying the clamps a few days earlier.

I proudly arrived home with my purchases and was quickly cleaning out the permanent ducting and installing the new flex hose with the thumb screw clamps when this happened.

A few choice words later and I was calling to my son to bring the digital camera to document the hidden design feature of the new clamps. Don't get me wrong, the thumb screw clamps are a great idea, but it was completely foreseeable that the sharp tail of the clamp would be directly under the thumb screw as the user tightened the clamp. Thus, posing a risk of cutting the fingers of the user.

The whole advantage of the clamp allows the user to tighten it without a screwdriver while in cramped quarters. This also makes it possible to tighten the clamp without being able to see one's fingers in harm's way.

So, Ideal Clamp, do the clamp one better without the Ginsu feature. Put a guard over the pigtail to protect the user's digits.

(PS. Maybe in a future blog I will address the ancestry of the appliance designer who put the recessed dryer vent 2 inches off the floor right next to the gas line, making it virtually impossible to clean the vent hose regularly/ever?)

1 comment:

  1. I giggled the whole time I was reading this! Sorry about your thumb :( P.S. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete